A blacksmith at work, observed by children, signed Eglinton, Margt. Pearson, 1789, height 58.5cm.
This is a copy of The Blacksmith’s Shop by Joseph Wright of Derby A.R.A. (1734-1797), painted in 1771 and bought by Lord Melbourne.
The original is now in the Mellon Collection and there is also a copy of the painting, on glass, in Derby Museum and Art Gallery.
Early in her career, the artist produced mainly images of birds, and parrots in particular, but towards the end of the 18th Century, she increasingly made copies on glass of famous paintings.
Her husband James was also a glass painter and they frequently collaborated, whilst also working independently.