Oil on canvas, 74cm by 61cm.
Signed l.r.: H. van der Myn.1730./august 31, and incised on the foot of the glass, ‘un verre d’amitié.’
The painting was acquired by Brownlow, 8th Earl of Exeter (1701-1754), by 1738.
It was subsequently sold in 1888, when it was bought by Lord Newlands (1851-1929), who was married to a daughter of William Alleyne, 3rd Marquess of Exeter (1825-1895).
He bequeathed the painting, together with several others bought at the sale, to William, 5th Marquess in 1933.
It is recorded with its pendant PIC151 in the 1763 Inventory: ‘a picture of dead game with Ld. Exeters favourite dog Diddle, its companion a Rose and glass by Vandermin.’
The artist was from the Northern Netherlands.
He was a Master of the Antwerp Guild of St. Luke and for a time court painter to the Elector Palatine.