Oil on canvas, 119cm by 91.5cm. Signed or inscribed l.l.: G. Flinck.
The artist was a pupil of Rembrandt (1606-1669), whose style he followed closely for some years.
From the late 1640s however, his painting was more influenced by that of Sir Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640).
He began to receive important official and diplomatic commissions and secured the patronage of the Stadtholder of Cleves.