Oil on copper. 30cm by 23cm.
The design for this painting is based on a well known composition attributed to Andrea del Sarto (1486-1530). The original is now lost, but it is known from two drawings, one in the Louvre, Paris, the other in the Uffizi, Florence. The 9th Earl of Exeter purchased the painting, as by F. Vanni, whilst in Rome on one of his two Grand Tours. The attribution was changed in the 1990s to Salimbeni, a Sienese born artist who was active in many parts of Italy and whose work is known for its very individual and vivid sense of colour.