Oil on canvas, 73cm by 58.5cm.
The artist, whose name refers to the place of his birth, was initially apprenticed to his father. He was influenced above all, by Raphael (1483-1520). The bulk of his work seems to have involved painting numerous copies of various devotional works for private patrons, in a direct response to the demands of the Counter Reformation.
The painting was acquired by Brownlow, 9th Earl of Exeter in 1769, at the time of his second Grand Tour. The intermediary was the dealer James Byres, who acquired several works of art for the Earl; the price £20.