Oil on canvas, 128.5cm by 96cm.
It is uncertain who bought this painting, but it was already at Burghley by 1752, when Horace Walpole mentioned it in his journal as a copy, or a version of the copy, then at Houghton in Norfolk.
It is a copy of a painting now in The Louvre in Paris and formerly in the Royal Collection at Fontainbleau.
There is another at Petworth House, West Sussex.
Andrea del Sarto was highly regarded as a painter during his lifetime.
However, after his death from plague at the age of 43, his fame was eclipsed by that of Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519), Michelangelo (1475-1564) and Raphael (1483-1520).