Oil on copper, 29.5cm by 39.5cm.
“Romanelli” is written on the reverse, but an alternative attribution to Pietro Paolo Baldini (1614-1684) has also been suggested.
Romanelli was born in Viterbo, but went to Rome at the age of fourteen where he was a pupil of Pietro da Cortona. After some years he joined the household of Cardinal Francesco Barberini, and was later called to Paris by Cardinal Mazarin, for whom he painted a fresco cycle. He also received a commission from Anne of Austria, the mother of King Louis XIV.