Categories: Paintings |

The Place des Vosges, Paris, French School, 19th Century.

Oil on copper, 13.5cm by 9.5cm.

The Place des Vosges, originally named the Place Royale, in the Marais district of Paris, was  built by Henri IV between 1605 and 1612 as the King instigated an enormous building programme to replace the mediaeval city. The first planned square in Paris, and one of the most beautiful, with uniform brick and stone frontages above vaulted arcades, topped by steep blue slate roofs, the Place des Vosges was a fashionable meeting place for the nobility until the Revolution.

REFERENCE: PIC149

Related collections