Oil on copper, 18.5cm by 14cm.
Signed F.L. 1684. Signed and dated again on the reverse.
The painting was purchased by John, 5th Earl of Exeter (1648-1700), whilst on the Grand Tour.
Filippo Lauri, the son of a Flemish landscape painter, was born in Rome, where he remained active for most of his life.
Amongst other things, he frequently painted small-scale figures in the canvasses of Claude Lorraine.
He was one of the principal artists patronised by the earl, who bought several of his works.