Oil on canvas, 147.5cm by 185.5cm.
According to the list of Brownlow, 9th Earl of Exeter (1725-1793), the painting came from the Barberini Palace in Rome.
Polidoro da Caravaggio (c.1499-1543), joined Raphael’s workshop in about 1517 and worked with him on the Raphael Rooms in the Vatican.
Later, in partnership with another of Raphael’s assistants, he spent some years painting the exterior facades of Roman Palazzi, usually in sgraffito.
These have now mostly perished and are known only through engravings.