Oil on canvas, 137cm by 180.5cm.
The painting was commissioned by Cardinal Colonna in 1636 and recorded in the artist’s account book for August 10th, 1637 for 131 scudi.
It remained in the Palazzo Colonna until the end of the 18th Century.
It was at Farley Hall in Berkshire in the 1790’s and in 1847 was purchased by Brownlow, 2nd Marquess of Exeter (1795-1867).
A note in the Marquess’s diary reads: ‘A three-quarter length picture of David with the head of Goliath & female figures by Guercino, purchased by Brownlow, Marquis of Exeter at the sale of Mr Andersen’s pictures in June 1847.’
The price was 400 guineas.