Oil on canvas, 32cm by 21cm. In a carved and gilded frame.
The Burghley Inventory of 1763, in the 9th Earl’s hand, records: “two flower pieces by Maria De Fioria.”
Mario de’ Fiori (1603-1673), working in Rome, was one of the first Italian artists to specialise in still life painting of flowers. There is however, some uncertainty as to whether the original identification of the artist is correct. It has been suggested that an attribution may be given to Nicolas de Largillière (1656-1746). He is thought to have painted a small number of still lifes whilst working in England as an assistant to Antonio Verrio (1636-1707), before later becoming a noted portrait painter in his native France. Verrio worked extensively at Burghley from 1686-1697.