Oil on canvas, 201.5cm by 84cm. Pair to PIC345.
This painting was originally one of two organ door panels in the Church of San Jacopo on the island of Murano in the Venetian Lagoon. The church suffered damage during the city’s long years of decline and in June, 1769, whilst on his second Grand Tour, Brownlow, 9th Earl of Exeter was able to purchase the panels. He also purchased the church altarpiece by Veronese, which became the altarpiece in the Chapel at Burghley.
The name Veronese was taken from the artist’s birthplace. A supreme colourist, known for his illusionistic works in both fresco and oil, he was, with Titian (c.1488-1576) and Tintoretto (1519-1594), one of the three pre-eminent Venetian painters of the late Renaissance.