Oil on canvas, 125.7cm by 99cm. Signed l.l.: F. van der Myn.
This portrait, together with PIC601 (the portrait of a cleric, the Rev. William Chambers), was purchased in 1951 by William, 5th Marquess of Exeter (1876-1956) from a Mrs. Rolleston of Ketton for £5.
The artist was the son of Herman van der Mijn (1681-1741), a painter who had moved from the Northern Netherlands to work in England. Frans had four brothers and a sister, all of whom were successful artists.