Plantae Selectae is a folio of ten parts in one volume, published in Nuremberg between 1750 and 1773. The text is by Christoph Jacob Trew, with magnificent illustrations by Georg Dionysius Ehret (1708-1770). Trew was an anatomist, physician and botanist from Nuremberg, and a personal physician to the Emperor. He became a patron of botanical and anatomical illustrators and greatly advanced the career of the gifted Heidelberg-born artist Ehret. The plates were engraved in Augsburg by Johann Jacob Haid (1704-1767). In the 18th Century, a period of tremendous interest in all things scientific, books on botany, which introduced new and exotic specimens gathered from around the world were highly sought after. This is considered to be one of the finest examples of its kind.