Pen and grey ink and grey wash, 44.2 x 67cm.
Designed for Brownlow, 8th Earl of Exeter (1754-1804), signed l.l. ‘Wm Legg’ and inscribed as titled. The Bottle Lodges were built in 1801 to celebrate the Earl’s elevation to the Marquessate, as 1st Marquess of Exeter. They were based on the surviving lodges for Old Campden Manor, Chipping Campden, built for Sir Baptist Hicks circa 1613. The fine Jacobean house was destroyed thirty years later by the Royalists during the English Civil War.
William Daniel Legg was a Stamford architect.