Categories: Paintings |

Nymphs Adorning a Statue of Pan, Roman School, circa 1650.

Oil on canvas, oval, 28cm by 34.5cm.

In a carved and gilded frame.

The painting was acquired for Brownlow, 9th Earl of Exeter by James Byres. Written on the reverse are the words: ‘Bought of the Abbe Fiori at Bologna’ cost £30, for which there is a receipt dated 1769. James Byres (1733-1817) was a Scottish architect and antiquary who settled in Rome in 1758 where he became an art dealer to gentlemen on the Grand Tour.

 

REFERENCE: PIC171

Related collections