Oil on canvas, 46cm by 38cm.
The painting was originally attributed to Giulio Romana.
Brownlow, 9th Earl of Exeter (1725-1793) purchased it as having originally come from the Mazarin Collection.
Written on the reverse in the distinctive hand of the earl are the words: ‘By Julio Romano, this picture belonged to Cardinal Mazzarin.’ (sic)
Anselmi was born in Tuscany and was first mentioned as a painter in Siena.
He moved to Parma where he then seems to have worked exclusively, painting frescoes and altarpieces, several of the latter still remaining in the National Gallery of Parma today.