Oil on canvas, 181cm by 229cm.
The story of the legendary Roman hero Marcus Curtius was popular with artists from the time of the Renaissance. After a chasm had opened during an earthquake, threatening Rome, the city was saved by the courageous action of a young Roman soldier who leapt with his horse into the gulf, which thereupon closed, thus saving the city.
The painting appears in the Burghley Inventory of 1688: “The Stewards Parlor….1 peice of Curtius no frame, by Jordanus”. It was purchased by John, 5th Earl of Exeter whilst on the Grand Tour from one of his favourite artists.