Oil on canvas, 66cm by 49.5cm.
The painting was originally in the Barberini Palace in Rome, when it was given to Parmigianino.
It was acquired, as such, by Brownlow, 9th Earl of Exeter (1725-1793), with several other paintings from the Palace.
The Genoese-born artist, also a prolific draughtsman, was the leading painter in 16th Century Genoa.
There, he established a tradition of fresco painting and is considered to be the founder of the Genoese School.
In 1583, he was commissioned by Phiip II of Spain to work on frescoes at his great palace and monastery of El Escorial.