Oil on canvas, 73.5cm by 49cm.
This painting was originally in the Barberini Palace in Rome and was almost certainly acquired by Brownlow, 9th Earl of Exeter (1725-1793) at the time when he was known to be purchasing other works from the Palace.
The painting, together with PIC065, also from the Barberini Palace, comprise studies of the heads for a celebrated painting of The Annunciation by Reni, now in the Louvre in Paris.
Guido Reni was active in Rome, Naples and his native Bologna, where he was a leading artist of the Bolognese School.
He established two studios in the city, which between them had almost two hundred pupils, through whom his influence was assured.