Oil on parchment, 35cm by 23cm.
Annibale Caracci opened a studio with his brother Agostino and cousin Ludovico in 1582.
They were influenced by both the linear work of the Florentine School and the glimmering colours and softer edges employed by Venetian artists, in particular Titian (c1488/90-1576).
This combination defined the work of the Baroque Bolognese School.
The work of all three Carraccis was almost indistinguishable, one from the other and this painting has been variously attributed to both Annibale and Ludovico.
The fact that it is on parchment, identifies it as definitely having come from their workshop.
The Carthusian Order derived its name from the Chartreuse Mountains in the French Alps, where it was founded by St. Bruno in 1084.