The gates are of iron, with copper leaf decoration and gilded overall; 366cm by 425cm.
Jean Tijou (fl. 1689-1712) was a Huguenot metal worker and craftsman who received major commissions in England, most notably for the wrought iron screens at Hampton Court Palace. He was also employed at Kensington Palace and St. Paul’s cathedral, as well as other country houses.
The gates were originally gilded by Rene Cousin, the gilder who worked for Antonio Verrio (1636-1707), when he was employed from 1686-1697 to paint the State Room ceilings at Burghley for John, 5th Earl of Exeter (1648-1700).
The gates were extensively conserved in 1990.