The hexagonal-shaped case, with hinged lid enclosing six numbered flasks, is enamelled blue with black comma and dot decoration on a white ground.
In the centre of the lid is the white rose of Lancaster, width 3.8cm.
The case is probably English.
It came to Burghley as part of a massive bequest from Elizabeth, Countess of Devonshire (1619-1689), to her daughter Anne, Countess of Exeter (1649-1703).
The bequest is recorded in an inventory known as the 1690 Devonshire Schedule, or Deed of Gift, which lists: ‘A Gold Box Enamel’d with blue with seaven Enamel’d Essence bottles in it.’
The seventh bottle is now missing.