Oil on canvas, in a carved and gilded frame, 25.5cm by 40cm.
‘Paul Brill. (sic) bought of Anderson in 1759’ is written on the back of the painting.
Given the date of acquisition, it was most probably purchased by Brownlow, 9th Earl of Exeter (1725-1793). It also appears in his copy of Orlandi’s Abecedario Pittorico.
Previously attributed to Paul Bril (1554-1626), the Flemish landscape artist and printmaker, it is now considered to more closely reflect the style of the Neapolitan veduta painter Gennaro Greco.