Mounted in the 17th Century, in the manner of Nicolas Cordier, with bronze head, arms and feet and set on a red and black marble throne, holding a writing horn and sheaf of corn, 59.8cm high, 32.5cm wide, 30cm deep.
The 1763 Burghley Inventory records: ‘the drawing room, 3’d George room……Livia from Dr Mead’s Collect. in 1755 upon ye table.’
Dr. Richard Mead (1673-1754) was one of the leading physicians, philanthropists, patrons and collectors of his day.
A translation of an extract from the sale catalogue of Dr. Mead’s collection reads: ‘The Empress Livia, wife of Augustus, dressed in a stola, veiled and crowned with a diadem. She is seated – her head, hands and feet are made of bronze and her clothing of alabaster. She is representing Ceres, for in one hand she holds a cornucopia and in the other ears of corn.’