Oil on canvas, 142.5cm by 113cm.
St. John’s Gospel tells of the miracle of the resurrection of Lazarus of Bethany, the brother of Martha and Mary, four days after his death.
The painting was one of two (see PIC320), purchased by John, 5th Earl of Exeter (1648-1700) from a Mr. Talbot in Rome, in about 1684, whilst on his second Grand Tour.
Mr. Talbot was a recusant priest who fled to Rome, where he found work as an agent and dealer for visiting Englishmen.
The 1763 Burghley Inventory records: ‘The picture room…The resurrection of Lazarus by Joseppe Chiari.’
During his early years as a painter Turchi was mainly active in his native Verona. Later he spent a short time in Venice before moving to Rome, where he remained.