Oil on canvas, 89cm by 66cm.
A label on the reverse of the painting reads ‘Rafaelle Santio d’Urbino’ purchased (525 zouchins) in 1760 by Mr Byres for Lord Exeter by permission of Pope Clement 13th of the Jesuits (left to the Society by Cardinal Fernese (sic) and hung in the chambers of St. Ignatius).
The Lord Exeter referred to was Brownlow, 9th Earl (1725-1793), for whom James Byres, an antiquarian and art dealer, acquired several works of art.
He had apparently written to the earl in glowing terms about the painting, which has later proved to be merely a copy.
The painting is after the original in the Ellesmere Collection in Edinburgh.