Oil on copper, 24cm by 20.25cm.
Written on the back of the painting are the words: ‘By Schedone from the Abbe Fiori at Bologna’, from whom it is thought Brownlow, 9th Earl of Exeter (1725-1793) purchased it.
It is a copy of a painting by Schedoni, formerly in the Vivant Dinon Collection in Paris, though its current whereabouts are unknown.
Schedoni worked mainly in Modena, where he was born and Parma, where he died. His later works show the influence of the Bolognese artist Ludovico Caracci (1555-1619).