Each piece of the service is gadrooned and engraved with a cypher within a lozenge, below a marquess’s coronet.
It comprises: a large oblong mirror, with gadrooned border and shaped cresting, engraved with cypher and coronet and with applied coronet at the top, height 93.3cm, (apparently unmarked),
a large oblong comb box on stud feet, width 26.7cm, height 10cm, depth 21cm,
a pair of circular boxes with gadrooned borders, diameter 12.7cm, height 6.5cm,
a pair of similar smaller boxes, diameter 7.6cm, height 5cm
and an oblong pin cushion, on stud feet with gadrooned borders, width 16.5cm, depth 8.5cm, height 7cm,
all with exceptionally fine engraving which has been attributed to Blaise Gentot (1658-c1701).
Plate books for 1824 and 1880 and the diary/day book of Brownlow, 2nd Marquess of Exeter (1795-1867) all record: ‘Silver gilt Toilet once that of King William the IIIrd given to Lord Exeter by the Dowr. Lady Exeter & first used by HRH the Duchess of Kent on her visiting Burghley with the Princess Victoria Septr. 21st 1835.’
The Dowager Lady Exeter (1757-1837), was Elizabeth, third wife and widow of Henry, 1st Marquess of Exeter (1754-1804).