A terracotta figure allegorical of ‘Literature’.

The elegant figure is stamped: The Stamford Terra Cotta Company Ltd. In 1858 John Marriot Blashfield moved his terracotta kilns from London to Stamford because of the superior nature of the local clay. The works were officially opened on 14th March 1859; the firing of the first kiln attended by the Marchioness of Exeter and her family. Stamford became an important centre for terracotta production and the company, later known as Blashfields Ltd., exported items all over the world.

REFERENCE: EWA 08621

Related collections