Oil on canvas, 97 x 115cm, signed l.r. IVDK. In a carved and gilded frame.
The painting was purchased by John, 5th Earl of Exeter (1648-1700), who is known to have commissioned four works from da Castello whilst in Padua on one of his early Grand Tours.
The artist was born in Antwerp, where he trained with Jan Fyt (1609-1661), a leading Flemish still life and animal painter.
After moving to Venice, da Castello became court painter to the Doge.
He worked all around the Veneto, where he came to be recognised as one of the leading still life and animal painters of the day in that region.