Signed l.r. A. Boffaert fecit 1634.
Oil on copper, 37cm by 53.5cm.
The painting was at Burghley by 1779 when it was recorded by Brownlow, 9th Earl of Exeter in his copy of the Abecedario Pittorico.
Bosschaert, the son of Ambrosius Bosschaert the Elder (1573-1621), specialised in still life and flower painting in a style remarkably similar to that of his father, and as he used the same monograph, their work is often confused. Bosschaert the Elder was one of the first artists to specialise in still life painting.