A small fragment of a wreath of white chrysanthemums worn by Queen Victoria whilst at Burghley in 1844.

Queen Victoria wore the wreath on the evening of 13th November 1844, when she attended the christening of the baby daughter of the 2nd Marquess and Marchioness of Exeter in the chapel at Burghley, at which Prince Albert stood as sponsor, or godparent to the baby. An accompanying note explains that: “The flowers were gathered in the Garden and the wreath was made by Monsieur Isidore, Her Majesty’s hairdresser”. Afterwards, an attempt was made to preserve the wreath using the new method of electrogilding. Unfortunately, this proved unsuccessful and this small fragment is all that remains.

REFERENCE:

Related collections