Oil on canvas, 61cm by 46cm.
‘BALDASSARE FRACESCHINI DELLA IL VETTEERRARIO PINXIT.’ is written on the back of the painting.
The artist, born in Volterra, and known as Il Volterrano, was active mainly in and around Florence and was painting frescoes from an early age.
He studied with the Florentine painter Matteo Rosselli (1578-1650) and later spent some months travelling around Italy.
He was studying the work of the various regional schools, in preparation for a commission to paint the Niccolini chapel in the church of Santa Croce in Florence.
This is now considered to be his finest work.
He also painted in oils, but his fresco painting is more highly regarded.