Each with moulded fluted circular tops, now fitted with marble slabs.
Supported by three downswept moulded legs headed by rams’ heads joined by swags of flowers and fruit and on cloven hoof feet and tricorn moulded plinths, 131cm.
The 1763 Burghley Inventory records: ‘Egypt.n Hall … 4 gilt stands with lamps 2 extinguish’s.’
These were supplied to Brownlow, 9th Earl of Exeter (1725-1793) by the London firm of Mayhew & Ince, chief suppliers of furniture to the earl.
Their bill of 1767 lists: … ‘4 tripods for the Hall, very richly carv’d and gilt with lamps to ditto gilt and varnish’d 120-0-0.’
This description explains, in part, the twelve numbered squares, or wells, cut out at regular intervals around the gilt, decorated top of one of the candle-stands; the three others having since been much altered.
It would seem that small numbered lamps of some description, would have fitted into the relevant wells, which when lit, must have looked magnificent.