Each sconce has a single scroll branch decorated with applied acanthus foliage, with octagonal wax pans chased with shells.
The back plates are shaped in cartouche-form, repoussé and chased with demi-figures of amorini at the sides.
The centres have a pierced and applied cypher and earl’s coronet within crossed palms, height 35.6cm, width 31cm, depth 21cm.
Perhaps by Wolfgang Howzer, circa 1675.
The 1738 Burghley Inventory records: ‘The North Drawing room…… upon the Hangings are placed large Silver carved Sconces for Candles.’