The 5th Earl and his Countess admired Monnot’s work, which they saw in Rome during the 1699-1700 trip. On this, their last of their Grand Tours, the Earl and his wife posed in Rome for Monnot, who executed their portrait busts. They purchased several pieces of his work. Monnot also produced the couple’s tomb monument, which was installed, perhaps somewhat earlier than they might have expected, in the family chapel at the church of St Martin’s, Stamford in 1704.
The figure is 39.4cm wide.