A ribbed jelly glass, circa 1750.

This is one of a group of five jelly glasses, all of the same pattern, but varying slightly in height; the tallest 10cm. In the 18th and early 19th Centuries, they were used for jellies, creams, syllabubs and any other type of dessert that required a spoon. During the dessert course at grand dinners, pyramids of them would be arranged on salvers amidst exotic displays of porcelain figures and sugar confections, to delight the eye before consumption.

REFERENCE: GLA09583

Related collections