A Paris (Nast) botanical dessert-service, circa 1820.

Each piece of this dessert-service, which includes ice pails, is painted with a named specimen within an apple green and gilt border. The centre of French hard paste porcelain manufacture was initially at Vincennes, before moving to Sèvres, under the ownership of Louis XV. The royal ownership brought with it a monopoly in porcelain production which created an intense struggle amongst the numerous other French factories, in particular the Paris ateliers, to overcome the restrictions. The monopoly was eventually relaxed and by the late 19th Century, Paris porcelain was highly fashionable and much in demand.

REFERENCE: CER0580 & CER0018

Related collections