The rectangular breakfront tops of the commodes are crossbanded and inlaid with a chequered line and with a moulded edge.
The fluted frieze is centred by an oval patera incorporated into a panel door with engraved boxwood festoons of husks and inlaid with a chequered line.
This is flanked to each side by smaller doors and tapered, fluted and blind fluted pilasters, headed by circular paterae; the cupboard raised on bracket feet, 91cm by 126cm.
An invoice from Mayhew & Ince of October 5th, 1767 notes: ‘A mahogany commode, with yellow wood ornaments and drawers for medals lined with green cloth, with ivory letters and good locks and furniture and inlaid with festoons in front. Another ditto for other pier but not for medals £57.’
They were commissioned by Brownlow, 9th Earl of Exeter (1725-1793) for his new library.