A pair of George III mahogany collector’s cabinets, circa 1760, attributed to Mayhew & Ince, London.

Each with raised moulded panels and hinged fronts, enclosing an arrangement of drawers inlaid with ivory letters of the alphabet, set on downswept chamfered legs upon a rose and ribbon carved moulded plinth, 109cm by 46cm, 38cm depth.
The drawers contain intaglios typical of Grand Tour souvenirs; collections of plaster mouldings of Renaissance and earlier (and sometimes later) coins, seals and medals, as well as cameos. These were produced in various places in Italy and were complete with manuscript inventories of the subject-matter of the intaglios. The pictured drawer, which contains intaglios of Egyptian history and Roman gods and goddesses, appeared in The Travelling Earls Treasury Exhibitions.
The London firm of John Mayhew and William Ince were the principal suppliers of fine furniture to Brownlow, 9th Earl of Exeter (1725-1793).

REFERENCE: FUR0052

Related collections