Watercolour and gouache on vellum, 19.5cm x 27.1cm.
Claude Aubriet was a botanical illustrator at the Jardin du Roi in Paris. In 1694 he was commissioned by the famous botanist Joseph Pitton de Tournefort to illustrate his Elemens de Botanique and later spent two years travelling with Tournefort in the Middle East, where he drew historical sites and flora in the region. He returned to work at the Jardin du Roi and in 1707 he became Royal Botanical Painter. The genus aubrieta (or aubretia), comprising flowering members of the brassica family, was named after him.