The marquetry of is of ivory, stained horn, mother-of-pearl, brass and other materials, 29cm high.
Inscribed on the reverse ‘From Palermo’, in the distinctive hand of Brownlow, 9th Earl of Exeter (1725-1793).
The Earl travelled to Italy on two occasions, when he acquired many wonderful works of art.
This, however, was perhaps more of a holiday souvenir.
The 1867 Burghley Inventory described it as ‘a pantomimic figure of wood and ivory from Sicily.’