Oil on canvas, 29cm by 46cm.
The artist was a painter, print maker, draughtsman and architect.
He was also an accomplished fresco painter, particularly of classical landscapes.
In Rome, he was appointed architect to Pope Pius V, later also working for his successors.
From about 1648 he spent two years in France working on commissions for Cardinal Mazarin and Louis IV, which included fresco paintings at the Louvre.
In his later years he concentrated on painting classical landscapes and in making etchings and engravings of his works, as well as those of other artists.