The vase has a neck of flared hexagonal section with moulded handles. The sides have moulded panels decorated with rocks and chrysanthemum in iron-red, blue and green and the flared, lobed base is decorated with breaking waves.
The vase is thought to have been at Burghley by 1688, though cannot be specifically identified in the 1688 Inventory.
It was sold in 1888 in a three day Christie’s sale of items from the House, including CER20161.
Both were returned on a long loan in 2005, very generously loaned by descendants of a gentleman who had later acquired them.