A pair of George III silver-gilt-mounted diamond cut-glass oval butter-dishes and covers within silver-gilt frames, with eagles’ heads and serpent handles (SIL04583), John Blades, 1800. A set of four George III silver-gilt-mounted diamond cut-glass oval cream jugs with reeded silver-gilt straps and serpent handles, mark of William Rudkins, 1800 and 1801, (SIL04584). A pair of George III silver-gilt-mounted cut-glass vase-shaped ewers on circular feet, with bands of diamond pattern and with silver-gilt serpent handles, John Blades, circa 1800, (SIL04585). A bill in the Burghley Archives from John Blades, Glass Manufacturer of 5, Ludgate Hill, dated 27th June 1801, itemises the supply of these pieces. John Blades opened his Ludgate Hill showrooms in 1783 and remained there until his death in 1829. He was appointed Cut Glass Manufacturer to George III and was known as ‘the great glass man of Ludgate Hill’. His was the first glass company to open a branch in India, in Calcutta.