The watch, which is 17th Century in origin, is thought to have belonged to John, 5th Earl of Exeter (1648-1700).
It was fitted in the 18th Century with a cylinder movement, no. 1415, by John Fladgate of London; the signature and number repeated on the dust cover, diameter 48mm.
The outer gold-mounted case is of rock crystal with the original enamel lid of the watch inserted into the front cover.
A continuous scene encircles the case and the later white enamel chapter ring, which surrounds a landscape scene.
The back of the case has a polychrome enamel miniature of the Judgement of Paris.