Painted in iron red, puce and gilding, with florets within a trellis diaper, below a raised ridge decorated with formal Laub und Bandelwerk.
After the Meissen factory began production of true hard-paste porcelain wares in 1708, it was not long before employees were persuaded to take the secrets of production elsewhere. The factory established in Vienna in 1719 by Claude Innocentius du Paquier, a Dutch entrepreneur, was the second viable hard-paste porcelain factory in Europe. The factory’s wares soon achieved fame for their rich decoration, and for nearly twenty-five years, Du Paquier was the only rival of Meissen. However, the enterprise was never financially secure. Threat of imminent bankruptcy finally forced Du Paquier to sell the factory to the Austrian state in 1744.