The superb pair of mahogany cabinets, from one of which this drawer has been removed, stand in the 9th Earl’s Library. The cabinets were made by the London firm of John Mayhew and William Ince, who were the principal suppliers of fine furniture to the 9th Earl (1725-1793). Typical of Grand Tour souvenirs at the time were collections of plaster mouldings of Renaissance and earlier (and, often later) coins, seals and medals as well as cameos.
These were produced in various places in Italy and were complete with manuscript inventories of the subject-matter of the intaglios. The subjects of the medallions in this drawer are Egyptian history and Roman Gods and Goddesses.